Friday, May 21, 2010

W(h)ine

Dear Josiah,

It was a rough day at the office today. Scratch that. It's been a rough two months. I can't wait until Shelley returns. Don't get me wrong! I am thrilled her precious little boy, Deacon, has arrived. He's just a darling of a thing! But, keeping up with both of our caseloads is almost more than I can manage. I now understand what they mean when they say 'bone tired', whoever they are. And I still have another month to go! Good Lord Josiah; how am I going to do this!

So, after having such a long day, I arrived home to find my daughter sitting in her car in the driveway. She's suppose to be at college and I don't understand why she can't remember the garage door code so she can just let herself in. For Pete's sake Josiah, the code is her birthday, but you know that! I wish I could say I was happy to see her, but her tear stained face told me that I would be working through the night.

"Hi baby," I said, trying to sound concerned when all I felt was tired. "What's wrong?"

Oh Josiah, she went into this long tirade about how her one professor was expecting too much from her! "It's just so unfair mom! My life sucks!" she whined at me. She wanted me to commiserate with her and I just couldn't do it. My grown up daughter has no idea how much more difficult things are going to be when she leaves the downy softness of college.

I put my arm around her as we walked through the garage and into the house. I just listened. Oh, and I grabbed a bottle of wine. The good stuff you sent me. Beautifully sweet, full of flavor, and a deep red that just makes it look luxurious. A true treat! Thank you for that, by the way. Anyway, she went on and on, finally leaving after I made us dinner.

Everything has been cleaned, the plants are watered, and my bed is calling to me. Still, I wanted to take a moment to explain why it has been so long between letters. My life is overly full right now from the rigors of work and raising my now all adult family. You do understand, don't you Josiah? I know you will. This madness should end by July. Do you want to do a trip together to Chicago? We could go on the architecture tour, watch the Cubs hit it out of the park (or at least to the fence), groove to great jazz, and gorge ourselves on Chicago style pizza. Just the thought of it is lowering my blood pressure.

What do you say Josiah? Chicago in July?

Hope all is well with you!

Always,

Josephina..... the other J

*** One Minute Writer ***

1 comment:

  1. I can feel the exhaustion and longing in her voice. The need for respite and escape.

    ReplyDelete