Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Snowed In Part 5

I pulled into the driveway 25 minutes later. As agreed, Alice had pulled her car out of the garage and was idling in front of the house. I was grateful that she smiled and waved as I passed her. At least I knew she wasn't cross with me. I just hoped she would drive very carefully the six blocks to her house. "Well, this is it," I said as the garage door closed loudly behind the car. I got out of the car and took a deep breath. I walked around and opened Mr. Henry's door. As I walked through the garage door and into the kitchen, I motioned for him to wait. I needed to confine my two golden retrievers. They were friendly, but I didn't know how Mr. Henry would take to their jumpiness with guests or a face full of puppy kisses. To me surprise, he followed me in and dropped to his knees, holding his hands out to both Rover and Fido, the names my children had picked out for them. They began licking him intensely. Mr. Henry didn't try to stop them and only pet them playfully.

Once man and beast finished their greetings, I led Mr. Henry down the stairs and into the guest room. "It may be a little cold at first. I keep the vents closed when the room isn't in use." As I shared this information with him, I walked over and opened the two vents, holding my hand over them long enough to ensure hot air began to seep through the narrow slots. Satisfied, I turned and gave him a quick tour. The TV was old, but functional as long as he was okay with the Farmer 10. He was welcome to anything on the bookcase. If possible, I hoped he could leave the toys hidden in the closet. They were for my son's upcoming birthday and I didn't want him to find them. He also had a semi-private bathroom. Towels and basic shower necessities were stocked on the shelves. There were plastic cups for drinking also on the shelves.

"I'll go get your luggage. Please let me know if there is anything else that you need." With that, I headed back up the stairs. I returned a few minutes later with the very load of luggage. Mr. Henry was sitting on the corner of the bed taking in the room. His stillness was a bit eerie. "Is everything okay?"

"Yes. Thank you," he responded and then went back to is contemplative silence. I brought down the last suitcase and wished him a good night. Once upstairs, I went to each of my children's rooms, slipping in for a few minutes to gaze at their peaceful faces. I pushed the hair out of my daughter's face. She stirred just a tiny bit. What am I going to tell them in the morning? I thought.

Quietly, I slipped into my own room carefully closing the door behind me. I sighed, shaking my head, frustrated with the situation. I undressed, pulling on my heavy flannel pajamas. Their was a slight chill in the house. I snuck into the hall and reset the thermostat a few degrees warmer. I heard the furnace kick in as I slid under my blankets and closed my eyes. It would be a difficult morning and I needed my sleep so I could cope. If I was lucky, I would dream a marvelous explanation for Mr. Henry's appearance at the breakfast table.


  1. I get the feeling that you are still stuck. although I get a sense that the stoic silence is an idea brewing.

  2. Not so much as stuck, well maybe a little, but mostly too tired to really focus on this tonight. Glad to see you back :)

  3. Hey I am sad there has not been more. And you can scold me for saying that.