Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Year's Night

“5….4….3….2….1 and welcome to January 1st, 2010. Happy New Year all!” Dick Clark intoned. I smiled and raised my plastic Champaign flute of sparkling apple cider toward the TV. “Happy New Year” I said softly, resting my other hand on top of my enlarged abdomen. I drank the rest of the cider, turned off the TV, and wandered to my bedroom, glass still in hand. The small room was cold and dark, but rich in security. I breathed deeply, pulling the sense of freedom deeply into my lungs, imagining it entering my blood stream and circulating throughout my body, as I pulled the heavy comforter back and climbed slowly into the space left open.

After carefully arranging the body pillow next to me, I reached across the little remaining space of the twin bed and flipped off the light. The chill that had settled on my skin retreated as I pulled the comforter over top of me. I laid my head on my pillow and positioned the roundness of my stomach on top of the body pillow for support. This year would be different. It was already different. I drifted off to sleep filled with hope instead of fear.

2 comments:

  1. When I opened this to make a comment having not yet formed an idea in my head the sentence that popped into my head was "sounds like a weird pregnancy dream".

    But interesting that this is another post of big change. I think I find these interesting that for the first time I am starting a new year with out thoughts of big life changes. Often more a hope for bettering the good that was created last year. I don't want change just improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in the same boat as you. I am happy with how last year went and am thrilled with the little improvements I am lucky enough to be able to make.

    Unfortunately, most of the daily prompts I am finding are directed toward making a change.

    ReplyDelete