Monday, June 6, 2011

Trigger

Dear Aaron,

I thought of you today. I was driving down I90, talking to my mom through the hands-free, and flipping stations. I stopped on the oldies station. Can you believe the music we sang at the top of our lungs while speeding down Main Street is now played on the oldies station? The oldies station! I always thought of that as my grandfather's generation of music. God, are we really getting that old?

No! That isn't it. I'm not old enough to be anyone's grandma. I still have two little kids. One isn't even old enough for school yet. And you have that beautiful son of yours. What is he now? Nine months, I think. I know he isn't a year yet. The weather is still too warm.

He must be crawling by now and calling out for his dada. I bet he is absolutely precious and I am even more certain that every time he babbles those syllables you get that crooked smile I have always loved. I would have walked over hot coals to give you a kiss when you smiled like that at me. I only saw it come out in the most innocent situations, but it was so languid it felt a little dirty. You must know by now how seductive  your smile is.

But that was all such a long time ago. We aren't those young love struck teenagers anymore. Look at us! We've grown up and moved our own separate ways! We have beautiful families and are so much wiser. Thinking of all the time that has passed makes me feel old.

Did I mention that "I've Finally Found the Love of a Lifetime" by Firehouse came on the radio this morning? It made me think of you.

Love,

Amanda

*** Daily Writing Practice ***

2 comments:

  1. Ah...the one that got away. We all have one of those. Mine drove an orange VW bug and a motorcycle, listened to punk rock and my parents hated him. He was a god. Funny how the most mundane task brings them back to mind and heart. You captured the feeling so well, Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your gentleman-bad-boy sounds much tamer than mine. But yes, it is funny how frequently something will bring him to mind.

    ReplyDelete