Wednesday, January 5, 2011

School Project

I sat at my desk, holding my breath as I flipped through the pages in my hand. I stopped on the third page again. I loved the picture. It was of a kitchen: yellow curtains on the one window, blue counter tops and brown cupboards, a small breakfast table devoid of food but surrounded by two chairs, and a black and white blocked linoleum floor. I'd spent easily an hour on that particular illustration. In third grade, an hour was a long, long, long time. Mr. Williams stood over my desk. His hand was out. Reluctantly, I released my book: About A Dog.


One month later, I sat in the small gym turned auditorium and received my prize for Best Third Grade Story from the Young Authors Association. It was a huge moment in my young life and continues to be a very special memory.


*** One Minute Writer ***

No comments:

Post a Comment