Monday, November 16, 2009

Jealousy 13

** I have 15 minutes to write tonight, so don’t expect too much! And now I have wasted one of those minutes writing this disclaimer!**

I am moved by her generosity and more so, her desire to help me. I know this is within Laura, but sometimes I am so sidetracked by silly things like dirty dishes and randomly missing food that I forget. “Thank you. Thank you” I cry into her shoulder. We release each other and sit back. It is slightly awkward and we both nervously laugh. “Ummm.” I lean back against the arm of the loveseat to create more space between us. “So, where do we start?”

Laura doesn’t move. In her artsy world, there is little need for personal space. I am comfortable with the space between us. She laughs a free spirited laugh and then smiles. “Well,” she says excitedly, “let’s start with you telling me about this amazing man of your dreams!” She is giddy and has taken both of my hands in hers. I lean forward slightly. Sitting like this reminds me of the early days of our friendship.

I gush. “Oh my gosh Laura. He is so cute! Tall, dark, and handsome. Amazing smile. Deep brown eyes! He makes me laugh too. And he’s so smart. He is into sports and architecture and independent films and music. We just have so much in common. He’s just…. perfect! I really like him.”

“He sounds great. What does he think of you?”

“I don’t know. I thought he could like me. We’ve never really talked about it. Mostly its just been short conversations. You know, in between waiting tables and stuff. We aren’t there on the same nights all that often.” I’m not sure if this is a good answer or not. I am nervous that she will see through my plot.

Laura’s eyes open wide. She gasps. “He doesn’t even know you like him, does he? You haven’t told him.” I look down sheepishly. I inhale deeply and then shake my head no. “Well, then I think the first step has got to be getting him interested in you and we can’t do that unless he starts to have more contact with you.”

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear she is going to be in trouble or end up with some one really cool that isn't JC ....OK I know no help.

    ReplyDelete